Thursday, May 29, 2008

P97(?)X Week 4: Recovery Week

So Week Four has been a little rough...not in the traditional sense of the word though. Rough in that having just come from a four day vacation, I've struggled a great deal in getting back into a routine. The schedule for the recovery week is a little easier - no hardcore weight training days. Mostly yoga, stretching, and some cardio.

What I also mean by rough is that I missed even more days this week than I missed last week. And by that I mean that I missed them all. Week Four is the recovery week...a slower pace, take it a little easier. Well I took it MUCH easier, as in I didn't do a single workout!

So what to do? Pick up with Week Five, which starts Phase Two, or just do Week Four having taken a whole week off? I still haven't quite made up my mind, but I definitely seem to be leaning toward picking up with Week Four's workouts.

A plus of doing this is then I have another week to decide something else concerning the program. I'm a little confused because the idea behind this program is to switch it up a lot so you don't ever plateau and slow or stop your progression...well Phase Two is exactly like Phase One with only one workout different. Instead of Shoulders and Arms on Day Three of the week I do Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps. I like the sound of that workout - it having two areas I think could use a great deal of enhancing...but I'm confused about that being the only difference...doesn't seem like a very big switch from Phase one and thus seeming like it would cause me to plateau.

So my decision I am considering is switching out another one...or two. I'm going to watch through Plyometrics and maybe Back and Biceps or Chest and Back and see what they're like. I may switch out Core Synergistics for Plyometrics and one of those other two for Legs and Back...hard to say though - the leg routine in Legs and Back is pretty good and I need it for the races for sure. So another week to decide...probably a good thing. Oh! In other news, I got a chin up bar...should be getting here in a bit, but I'm excited for that as whenever chin ups are required in the workouts I've just been doing push ups.

But another reason, and this one probably trumps all - taking a full week off seems to have undone a lot of the progress I've made. Not too happy with that! So with this, I've now extended P90X to P97X...adding another seven days. Hopefully that's all that gets added...let it be known that of a surety P90X is better than P97X...adding those seven days of doing nothing just sets you back!

So next P90X report will likely be about the week this report was supposed to be about. Yeah, the story of my life it seems! Anywho, I'm going to try and get some of my race reports in here to mix it up...been a lot of P90X posts in a row now. Stay tuned! Because I know just how exciting I am to read about! (I really do, my wife is SURE to let me know, EXACTLY how exciting my posts are...she holds nothing back!)

1 comment:

Nathan said...

PS - The posts are done in order of when you start the post, and the date that shows up is the day you started the post. So I started this on one Thursday, but didn't actually post it until Saturday night.

Weird system.