Monday, May 5, 2008

2008 Season: USRA Desert Series

Between the 2007 and 2008 season Paul became even more committed to racing; he bought a new motorcycle: a 2008 KTM 505XC-F. During the 2007 season the trusty Yamaha had done well, but occasionally Paul was left wanting for more power or speed. The KTM delivers in this area extraordinarily well. It's pretty much the most amazing bike I've ever ridden, and I'm sure he'd agree (that's why he bought it, right?). (Picture: Behold the glory that is KTM's 505XC-F)

This turned out to be a great deal for me as well because Paul decided he would keep the Yamaha, and as a very generous act he allowed me to use the Yamaha for the 2008 season. I was then and am still very happy and grateful that Paul decided to do this as I am now pursuing the race dream and loving every minute of it (even the roost!).

So when this all transpired I took a look at the upcoming season and decided to pick out what races I would do. Though it was more than 6 months earlier the memory of my race at Buzzards in 2007 was still fresh in my memory, so I decided that I wouldn't seek an early death and only participate in a handful of races. I had been working out at the gym off and on without super dedicated regularity since the Buzzard's race in 2007, but I still knew I was in no shape to tackle a full season.

The first race this year would be January 26, the Buzzard's Mesquite GP in Mesquite, Nevada. I figured I would go to this one for several reasons: I really liked the Buzzard's race I did in 2007 with Paul, I have ridden around Mesquite for several years and knew the area pretty well, and the winter had been pretty harsh and some sun would be nice.

After that I planned on doing the AMA National Hare and Hound put on by the Desert Foxes in Wendover, Nevada on March 15. This same group put on a race in the same area in 2007 and Paul had placed 1st place Overall Novice. He mentioned that the terrain was more what we were used to, and the Foxes also had a reputation for fun courses, so this seemed like one not to miss.

Third I would go to Monticello, Utah to race in the Rough Riders AMA National Hare Scrambles on June 15. Paul had done this one in 2007 as well and had had a lot of fun there. It also was in a cool area and good for a camping weekend with the family.

In August there was a race planned that sounded very intriguing - Desert Foxes were putting one on in Bryce, Utah, which sounded like a great area to ride in. It would be on August 16, my oldest child's birthday, so we could make a camping weekend out of it too...and as an added bonus I could place really well hopefully since it would be my 4th race and I will have gotten more into the swing of things.

To finish the season, the Buzzards had a race planned for November 1 which they hadn't announced the location yet, but given my experience with them in 2007 I figured it would be good.

You'll notice that I did not plan to do the Sage Riders races in 2008. This is because I figured I wasn't up to par yet and able to handle their races, nor would I be when their races came up (first one by them was on April 5). I could still remember vividly Paul's first race at Sage Riders, and the last race of 2007 for him had also been a Sage Riders race and he had said it was even more brutal than his first race. No, I needed more time before I could tackle one of their brutal endurance and skill tests.

After I got my schedule all planned out I was ready to go. I signed up for the USRA membership and picked my division, class, and number: Amateur, Open Class, #65. I had been #65 during my ice hockey days as a teenager so it has a bit of nostalgic value for me. I chose the Open class for a couple reasons: Paul was in it, so it would be cool to be "competing" with him (I use that loosely...I knew I was in no shape to really compete with him), and the Open class is the only one that doesn't have a letter identifier next to your number. Call me shallow...I didn't want my nostalgic number being tainted by the presence of an unwanted letter to designate my class!

I chose the Amateur division after a lot of discussion with Paul. He had done Novice his first year, and I was inclined to do the same. However he explained that if he could go back he would have probably started in Amateur, knowing what he knows now. And that is, the Novices are typically the most numerous at the races and the skill range in the Novice class is much more varied than in any other. This adds up some chaotic times during a race that can hinder you a great deal despite your own ability. Paul assessed that both of us were at least of Amateur ability, and that we'd have more fun there since we'd be starting out ahead of the Novices and thus avoiding the crowds associate with that division. At the time I trusted his direction but was somewhat apprehensive.

It's pretty fun typing this up and reading it knowing full well that I'm telling it just as it was...and looking back and noticing how blissfully ignorant I was. I talked to Paul a great deal during all this and he humored me with my talking's and ideas about it...I have to wonder now if he just had a big smile on his face the whole time knowing that I truly had no idea what was coming my way. As a teaser for posts to come, know that at this point in the season so far (today's date is May 6 and as noted in another post I've already participated in four races) it has played out pretty much nothing like what I had planned.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Instead of already adding to a longer post that was never meant to be that long, I'll make a comment about the "blissfully ignorant" nature of my racing opinions.

I'm certain that next year when I look back to right now, I notice that I'm still incredibly ignorant. ;) Oh well, live and learn!