Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Future of the Desert Race Diaries: Part 1

Well I'm pushing 3 months since a post, figured I should update or something. ;)

A great many things have changed since the last post, all of which will affect this blog. My intention is to keep the blog up and running and with new and exciting things regarding my passion for racing, but they will be...of a different flavor. No worries! I'll explain.

First though, I should explain what has changed! Two major things: The first one is we have welcomed a new baby boy to the family! Benjamin Liam Day was born on Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 8 pounds 8 ounces and 21 inches right here in our Murray home. He's perfect and he and momma are doing great. This awesome new arrival affects yon blog a bit - for example there was a race today that I didn't go to as a result of having a new baby in the house. But future races likely might not have been as drastically affected had change #2 not occurred.

The second major change was that in January I lost my job. Lucky though I had begun the internal process of applying for a new job before the layoff that affected me, which kept me in the considering for a new position, which I just recently was offered! That will affect this blog the most though, because the position I was offered (and accepted) is not in Salt Lake City, nor anywhere in the State of Utah. It's in Washington (Seattle), far away from the USRA and Utah deserts and desert racing scene.

But these are not negative changes. Benjamin is a great addition to the family and we are so excited to have him! And the new job has a great many more opportunities than my previous position had, so with any luck I'll be soon fulfilling my Husqvarna dream and racing one of their bikes in Washington. Speaking of Washington racing - there's a lot to be had up there! And from what I've found so far, a lot of pretty cool stuff (might want to mute the music on that video) too. There seems to be a great deal of single track and woods riding, which is great because it's fun riding but I also need a lot of work and practice on it as it's been a point of weakness for me so far.

The only real negative thing is that the move and new position will mean I'll have to put my racing, and riding, on hold for a while. It's a little more expensive to live up there and while I'm getting a pay increase it will only just barely cover the new expenses. It will take a promotion before I'll be able to ride and race again (at least as much as I want to, there may be random opportunities here and there), but that's not too bad as I will only be more motivated to make it happen as a result!

So what is the future of the Diaries? I should say a pretty decent one - so do not despair! For starters I have a lot of catching up to do before I can even pick up with new updates. My last post about the Sage Riders Dam Good Race was never fully done - there's a lot of links I didn't include (I think lol), and my sister Rachel was there taking pictures and I never posted any of those. There was a pretty epic ride with my brothers and dad that took place after Thanksgiving that I wanted to report on. I also raced my first ever motocross race in the Utah Wintercross which was awesome (and addicting!), so that deserves a post. And there's already been a USRA race in the 2009 season that I've attended which also needs reporting. There were more posts that I would have done had I been up to date, such as my plans for the 2009 racing season and such, but as those plans have now changed there's not a lot of point in a post like that. ;)

But that's just the beginning to get caught up. I have some pretty good plans for the blog when I get to Washington, but this post is already way longer than intended so I'll save that for when I'm caught up. Stay tuned!

-Nathan

No comments: